Sign the Guestbook | View the Guestbook

115 entries
Prev · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 · Next

Name: Bcdefghijk
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Dec 17 05:09pm
…as Commission’s recommendations acceptedTwo senior officials of the Mayor and City Council of Georgetown (M&CC) who were sent on leave in July last year have been dismissed by government, Wholesale NFL Jerseys USA, in keeping with the recommendations of a Commission of Inquiry.Minister of Local Government, Kellawan Lall, in a statement yesterday said that he was abiding with the recommendations of the Commission – for Town Clerk Beulah Williams and City Treasurer Roderick Edinboro to be dismissed effective January 31, 2010.Town Clerk Beulah WilliamsThe Commission of Inquiry was set up after the Auditor General’s (AG) Department submitted its report to the City Council. The AG Department found that records were not being properly maintained in the payment of wages and salaries, and that some officers were being paid in lieu of leave without the consent of the Council, among other concerns.In the Commission’s report to the Minister regarding Williams, Commissioner Keith Burrowes said that “In all the circumstances, it will be a travesty of moral justice at least, and an unacceptably bad precedent, should not the services of the current Town Clerk be terminated.”The same report was scathing in recommending the termination of the services of Edinboro, indicating that the evidence of his “incompetence” was explicit and overwhelming. “It is however a reflection of the indifference and indeed negligence, not only of the incumbent’s immediate supervisor, but also of the Finance Committee and the Council as a whole, that such a substantial degree of malfunctioning could have been perpetuated over an extended period of time.”According to Minister Lall, the termination of services of the two officials was done in the public interest. The two will be paid benefits owed to them minus whatever obligations are owed to the M&CC.In October, the Minister at a press conference told the media that he was deciding whether to accept the recommendation of the Commission of Inquiry, that Williams and Edinboro be dismissed.The Commission’s work had concluded in May 2009 and a report was presented to the Minister in July. The report was validated and presented to the Minister in three volumes.The Commission had found that 80 per cent of the regulations of the City Treasury Department were breached under the watch of the two officials. As a result, recommendations were made that there be a restructuring in the department.The Auditor General’s investigation had found that nine senior officers on the executive paysheet were paid $1, 371, 171 in lieu of leave during 2007 and 2008.It said these payments should not have occurred since there was an existing policy that clearly stated that all leave earned should be taken within the year or be forfeited.The approval of the council was not sought, as is the requirement if the need arises to pay in lieu of leave. The Town Clerk did not agree that the Council’s permission was necessary.The Auditor General had also found that a number of officers were overpaid.
Name: Ghijklmnop
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Dec 17 05:08pm
The Chairman of the Commission of Inquiry (COI) into the violent breakout at the New Opportunity Corps (NOC) said yesterday that after the interview of just one more staff member of the juvenile detention centre, the final report will be ready for submission.According to the Chairman of the Commission, Justice Winston Moore, he does not want to put a deadline on the submission of the report in the case of unforeseen hindrances.The commission’s work has had some delays after its initial Chairman, Justice Prem Persaud, resigned just as investigations were about to commence.Kaieteur News understands that the staffer whose interview is pending is currently on leave.The Commission of Inquiry was set up several months ago to investigate the circumstances surrounding the violent rampage involving a number of youngsters whose ages ranged from 14 to 16, and leading to their escape from the Juvenile detention facility.Reports are that the teenagers stormed through several communities while being armed with cutlasses and other weapons. During this, Wholesale China Jerseys, a female dormitory and a workshop within the compound were set alight. Some 17 young ladies who were housed in that dorm had to be relocated.Subsequent to the rampage, some of the inmates, after being confronted, claimed that they were being abused by staffers and that they had reached breaking point.A senior Ministry of Culture official had however stated that none of the juveniles made any such allegations to the team which visited the centre prior to the escape.It was as a result of these controversial statements, that a Commission of Inquiry was set up.The five-member Board of Inquiry also include Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, Alfred King; Senior Superintendent and Divisional Commander of ‘D’ Division, Christopher Griffith; Senior Probation Officer of the Ministry of Human Services and Social Security, Trenetta Scott and Mr. Maydha Persaud, a retired headmaster and member of the Teaching Service Commission.Of the 48 inmates who appeared, eight were charged with arson, while the rest were arraigned for escaping from a training school. Twelve of the inmates are female, while thirty-six are male.Thirteen of the juveniles pleaded guilty to escaping from the NOC, while the remaining 35 entered not guilty pleas.Sixteen of the inmates were remanded to the juvenile facility in Georgetown, while the other 32 were returned to the NOC.
Name: Hijklmnopq
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Dec 17 05:08pm
(By Mondale Smith)The most outstanding ranks off of the just concluded course stand for a photo opportunity with senior Police officers and Police Chief Seelall PersaudAll things being equal, by the end of next year Guyana will see an additional 1200 new police ranks deployed said Police Commissioner, China Stitched NFL Jerseys, Seelall Persaud DSM. Coupled with this is a grant from a yet unnamed foreign international agency to the tune of several million US dollars to boost the Guyana Police Force transportation capacity.This is happening even as the Guyana Police Force is seeing what it dubs a massive increase of young people joining the ranks in recent times.Force training officer, Senior Superintendant Paul Williams said that the strength of the Guyana Police Force was further boosted by 136 new constables drawn from across Guyana. They graduated yesterday from the Felix Austin Police College.The passing out parade which took place at the Tactical Services Unit Square, Eve Leary, followed six months of training which exposed recruits to the basic and essential principles of policing, practices and procedures, foot and arms drills, physical exercise, self-defense tactics and firearm training theory as well as live firing exercises.Senior Superintendant Williams assured that contrary to the belief of the force being a last resort for many that are unqualified the new ranks who graduated yesterday includes more than 47 constables who attained passes in excess of eight CSEC subjects with grades one to three.“From this year we have started to recruit in batches and this is our first that has completed training. About 240 more recruits will begin training on Monday.” According to Senior Superintendant Williams this method will be continuous every six months.”Commissioner Persaud lauded the ranks for their sacrifices, time, energies and for surviving the physical as well as mental rigours of the training. He encouraged the ranks to remain committed to their choice and not to forget their oath of office. The oath is the linchpin of their career.“You are now at the launch pad of your career that can see you to the age of 55. Don’t throw it away by forgetting or not applying the laws, regulations, rules procedures and tactics that you would have learnt.“Commissioner Persaud reminded the ranks that training is over. “From here on you will be operating in the real world where there would be a great demand for (you) to address the challenges of this world, (a world) with many crises that lack political intrusion, protracted conflicts and displacement. These are the new norms in addition to global trends such as climate change, organization income inequality, food insecurity and resource scarcity.“These things are increasing people’s vulnerability and it is your job to keep people safe from harm.”He told the ranks that there is no need for anxiety. Instead he told them to remain confident as history has shown the force’s constant adaptation and resilience in treating with challenges that have confronted the organization during different periods and time.As part of training they learnt the virtues of self discipline, courage, skill and integrity but the commissioner admonished them to understand that “there is no virtue in ignorance, but there is great power in continuing to seek knowledge which will take you through.”Commissioner Seelall also advised that the people of the communities in which they will be deployed to serve, will expect protection from harm. They will expect police to be great role models to their children while ensuring their safety and protection of their homes, schools and business with a smile their faces and a word of courtesy at all times.He encouraged them to be prepared to be cool and composed while facing criticism without taking it personal, despite of the most intense pressures.The commissioner also posthumously recognized education stalwart Samuel Augustus Small A.A for his contribution of human resource development for more than 38 years of selfless dedication to the force, with a plaque to his wife.
Name: Efghijklmn
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Dec 17 05:08pm
British hostage, Peter Moore, who once worked in Guyana with the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC), has been released alive from captivity in Iraq, Britain’s Foreign Secretary David Miliband has said.He said that Moore, an IT consultant from Lincoln, who was seized in Baghdad in May 2007, was in good health and “absolutely delighted at his release”.Moore, a computer expert, came to Guyana in 2004 through Volunteer Services Overseas (VSO) UK. He then worked at the Lands and Survey Department before undertaking the task of volunteer Database Administrator during the flood relief operations in early 2005.In January 2006, Moore joined GGMC where he worked as a Systems Administrator/Programmer before resigning in April, but maintaining close contact with friends and former colleagues here.The 31-year-old Moore was apprehensive about going to work in Iraq, but took the job there to help, friends had said.Miliband said the Moore family felt deep relief after two-and-a-half years of “misery, fear and uncertainty”.Four bodyguards were seized with Moore. Three were shot dead; the fourth is also thought to have been killed. The bodies of Jason Swindlehurst, from Skelmersdale, Lancashire, and Jason Creswell, of Glasgow, were returned to the UK in June 2009, followed by that of Alec MacLachlan, of Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, in September.Miliband has called for the release of the body of the fourth guard – Alan McMenemy from Glasgow.Miliband said that Moore, who had been released on Wednesday morning, was in the British Embassy in Baghdad and would be reunited with his family as soon as possible.The foreign secretary said he had had a “very moving” conversation with Mr Moore, who was “to put it mildly, absolutely delighted”. He is undergoing medical checks.“The joy and relief that will be felt by Peter’s family will be mirrored by the continuing anguish of the family of Alan McMenemy, the last of the five men taken hostage. We have believed for some time that he has been killed and his family has been told our view of his likely fate.”The Foreign Secretary also told the BBC there were no concessions or deals made to secure Moore’s release.“This was an Iraqi-led process of political reconciliation in which an armed group has made vows to come within the political system and to renounce violence, and that’s the foundation of Peter Moore’s release, ” he said.Moore had been working for US management consultancy, Bearing Point, Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, in Iraq. The other men were security contractors employed to guard him.The group was captured at the Iraqi Ministry of Finance by about 40 men disguised as Iraqi policemen.They were understood to belong to an obscure militia known as the Islamic Shia Resistance, which demanded the release of up to nine of their associates held in US military custody since early 2007.Several had already been handed to the Iraqi Government. Some had then been freed under a national reconciliation process, with armed groups which renounce violence being brought into the mainstream as Iraq prepares for elections.BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said it appeared “some kind of deal” had been done, though not necessarily involving the British government.“The main person the abductors wanted back, I’m told, is out of US custody… and handed over to the Iraqis, ” he said.Qais Al-Khazaali had been suspected of involvement in the kidnapping and eventual killing of five US soldiers, Gardner added.Prime Minister Gordon Brown, in comments, expressed relief “by the wonderful news that Peter has been freed. At this moment of celebration, we also remember the families of British hostages who have been killed in Iraq and elsewhere. And we pledge to continue to do everything we can to bring British hostages back to their loved ones.”Moore’s father Graeme, 60, from Wigston, Leicestershire, said he was “over the moon” at the news.
Name: Nopqrstuvw
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Dec 17 05:07pm
After two trials – with the first having ended in a hung jury – 45-year-old Bush Lot, West Coast Berbice resident, Ramesh Sahadeo, 45, called ‘Bado’ was yesterday sentenced to death by hanging by Justice Brassington Reynolds, after he was found guilty of murder by a mixed jury in the Berbice High Court.Sahadeo was on trial for the murder of 17-year-old Darshanan Ramanan called ‘Tato’ of Bush Lot Housing Scheme, which occurred on September 20, 2009.Justice Reynolds had earlier taken about two hours to sum up the evidence to the jury, guiding them on various aspects of the law. The jury then took just over two hours, retiring around 13:00hrs and returning at 15:00 hrs, with the unanimous verdict of guilty of murder.Both the defence and prosecution had summed up their case earlier during the morning session for consideration of the jury.Sentenced to death: Ramesh Sahadeo is led away by prison officersDefence attorney Raymond Ali had based his arguments on a number of issues, including self-defence, He had also argued that the incident was an accident. He claimed that there were a lot of inconsistencies during the trial and that the prosecution’s two eyewitnesses were consistently lying.State prosecutor Dionne Mc Cammon in her submission to the jury had stated that the prosecution casewas clear and very straightforward and based on the two eyewitnesses who were at the scene having been in company with the deceased when he was killed.The accused looked pensive even before the verdict was announced and rubbed tears from his eyes. The foreman answered in the affirmative when he was asked if they had a verdict and a unanimous one. Guilty was the answer when asked a second time.When asked if he had anything to say, Wholesale Jerseys China, the accused mumbled some words which were inaudible.Defence counsel Raymond Ali then asked the court to exercise some amount of leniency on the accused. He stated that he is a labourer in his late 40s, is divorced, and has children whom he still will have to take care of.Justice Reynolds then ruled that the prisoner will be sentenced according to the stipulated penalty.  The entire court was asked to rise by the Chief Marshal as the judge announced “Ramesh Sadadeo you have been found guilty on a unanimous verdict by the jury for the offence of murder and are to be taken forthwith to a place of lawful execution and hanged by the neck until you are dead, may peace be on your soul.”Sahadeo’s relatives who were in court broke down in tears as the accused was led away by a prison officer.The court heard that on the day in question, Sahadeo slashed the neck of Ramanan killing him, following a misunderstanding between the two men.During the trial, seven witnesses testified. The eyewitnesses, Vishal Dayaram called ‘Texas’ and Sahadeo Jailall called ‘Boy’ had recounted that on the day in question they had witnessed the accused inflicting the fateful chop to the neck of the deceased.Dayaram had testified that the accused had handed him a bag with Parasad (sweet meat) before taking away his cutlass and fatally chopping Ramanan on his neck. He had stated that this was after an argument had ensued between the two men. Sahadeo was armed with the cutlass, while Ramanan was armed with a brick. Ramanan was chopped even as he bent down to fix his bicycle.Selena Ramanan testified of receiving information about her son. She raced to the scene where she saw her son lying on the ground with a wound to his neck and with what appeared to be blood around him.Daneshwar Persaud testified to indentifying the body on the day of the post mortem. He witnessed the autopsy which was conducted by Dr. Brijmohan at the New Amsterdam hospital.Superintendent Stephen Mansell testified that he was stationed at the Fort Wellington Police station. He conducted investigations into the matter and subsequently arrested the accused.Detective corporal Dwayne Harvey in his testimony had stated that he had visited the scene where he saw the accused in a pool of blood. He subsequently conducted investigation in the matter. He also witnessed the post mortem examination.Dr Brijmohan in his testimony had given the cause of death as shock and hemorrhage due to an incise wound to the neck.The accused had also given an unsworn statement from the docks, in which he had stated his movements during the day after he left home to visit his friend ‘Sweets’. He encountered Ramanan and two friends on a dam. After a misunderstanding between him and the youth, they got into an argument and then a scramble as they fought and fell to the ground.  He subsequently got up and ran away after he heard one of the men telling Ramanan to “bore” and “chop” him. He was subsequently arrested by the police and charged for the crime.Reports were that Ramanan was at the corner of the street while the defendant was passing and an argument ensued between them. Sahadeo dealt Ramanan a single chop to his neck and calmly walked away. Ramanan was seen running frantically up and down the street a few times before collapsing to the ground, bleeding profusely. He died before receiving medical attention. The police subsequently arrived at the scene. Sahadeo was later arrested and charged.State Prosecutor Dionne Mc Cammon had set out to prove that it was the accused who had inflicted the injuries on the deceased resulting in his death.
Comments

Visits: 13530427

REGISTER FOR OUR NEWLETTER + MORE!