Sign the Guestbook | View the Guestbook

963 entries
Prev · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 · Next

Name: Qrstuvwxyz
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 23 Jun 18 08:43pm
Government may have an idea as to the identity of the US mastermind who is suspected of spearheaded the recent attacks on the city.This is according to Cabinet Secretary, Dr Roger Luncheon, who confirmed yesterday that the local authorities have made a definitive connection to the US.During his weekly press briefing at the Office of the President, the official noted that Guyana is not the only country that may have itself in a situation where external forces may have played a role in criminal activities within a country.Based on agreements under the Organization of American States (OAS), Guyana can seek the help of the US in providing information based on requests.According to Luncheon, while government may have some idea who the US link is, the idea is to pursue the matter to the fullest to ensure the investigations are concluded. The official implied that this may even involve the possible extradition, if the investigations reach that far, of the individual.Key in the probe is the US telephone number which investigators believed was called following the recent Ministry of Health fire and more recently the attacks on the city.While the telephone number is there, the information linking it with the suspect will have to be provided by the US.During a press conference last week Thursday, President Bharrat Jagdeo had said that investigators believed that someone in the US masterminded the attacks.The attacks saw a school and the High Court Registry firebombed, and police stations damaged by gunfire.Investigators have reportedly made the link using telephone records, and according to President Jagdeo, the telephone number in question had surfaced way back when Guyana was facing the “Buxton situation”.Expressing concern over the attacks, which also saw a vehicle hijacked on the Soesdyke/Linden Highway by gunmen posing as policemen and which left one man dead, the President warned that the security forces will “go after them with all the vigour and we will get these people.”According to Jagdeo, the people involved in the attacks are “not ordinary criminals. They operate with high-powered weapons.”While it is believed that there are also local organizers, investigators have been working on the angle that there is a foreign terrorist mastermind, based in the US.Explaining, Jagdeo said that after the fire at the Ministry of Health, Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys, several people were charged and telephone records indicated that one of the suspects placed calls to the United States before and after the fire. It is believed that the last call was made to report that the fire was lit.This particular number had cropped up when police were investigating criminal elements in Buxton sometime back.Jagdeo revealed that two weeks ago he met US officials, and in addition to asking for information on this connection, had also requested information on convicted drug trafficker, Shaheed ‘Roger’ Khan and the infamous spy equipment, among other things.According to the Head of State, had someone set fire to a federal building in the US and been linked to an individual in Guyana, FBI agents would have been swarming all over the country.With Guyana cooperating with the US in the fight against terrorism, there is all the more for a need to focus on the symmetrical sharing of information, Jagdeo said.Questioning why it would take months to get such information from the US, the Head of State said that he had expressed fears to the US officials that a possible attack may happen again.Over the weekend, the US had said it is helping Guyana track down the suspected mastermind.US acting Charge d’Affaires in Guyana, Carol Horning, on Saturday acknowledged that this country has requested information.“The request for information is with the Department of Justice and they are processing it, ” she said.The statement of Horning was carried in an AFP story yesterday under the headline “US is helping Guyana track terror suspect: US official”.On Monday, the local US Embassy in Georgetown also acknowledged Horning’s statement.According to the report, Horning explained that the US first has to conduct due diligence and privacy procedures related to phone records.
Name: Klmnopqrst
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 23 Jun 18 08:43pm
Guyana Power and Light (GPL) has refuted claims that construction activities in Sparendaam resulted in an electrical pole being compromised causing wires to fall across the Rupert Craig Highway, East Coast Demerara, on Tuesday.Following the incident, Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, several villages along the stretch were without electricity for about three hours and traffic was diverted to the Railway Embankment. Residents who had gathered at the scene lamented that the situation was a disaster in the making. They had emphasized that pipe-laying works by Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) to Former President Bharrat Jagdeo’s building and road-widening in the area had weakened the soil where the pole was planted.According to the power company, however, no activity by the GWI or any construction work associated with the widening of the East Coast Highway, was responsible for the incident.The company stressed that investigations revealed that the anchor block for the structure guy, which is buried about 2 metres, was deteriorated, causing the anchor road to loosen. This caused the structure to lean heavily southwards causing conductors to sag across the carriageway.It was noted that anchor blocks are not subjected to routine inspection since they are buried. Most of them last for decades and this one would have been in service for over 20 years.The company apologized for the inconvenience caused.
Name: Qrstuvwxyz
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 23 Jun 18 08:43pm
– 24 applicants shortlistedAnyone who interferes with the work of stray catchers will be severely dealt with by the law. This is the warning issued by Home Affairs Minister, Clement Rohee during a meeting with recently recruited stray catchers, yesterday, at the Ministry’s boardroom.Yesterday’s meeting came at a time when the Ministry is in the process of resuscitating the role of stray catchers.These cows that lined the roadways of Diamond on the East Bank of Demerara will be the target of stray catchers.Following the publication of notices to fill the vacancies, 24 persons from several areas throughout the country have applied for jobs as stray catchers.The applicants, who were present at yesterday’s meeting, were mainly from West Demerara, Georgetown, Moblissa and West Berbice.According to Minister Rohee, to facilitate the restoration of the process, the administration first embarked on the rehabilitation and in some cases the construction of several pounds throughout the country.These pounds are primarily located at the various police stations.The money paid to stray catchers was increased from $1000 to $5000 per head of cattle impounded.“People would say the amount of money that was originally allocated was not sufficient, so we have increased it from $1000 to $5000, cheap jerseys, which I think is quite substantive, ” the Minister said.He said that in every occupation there are risks and the work of a stray catcher is no exception.To this end, the administration had anticipated the worst case scenario with regards to the risks stray catchers are likely to encounter in the execution of their duties.There have been cases in the past when stray catchers have been attacked while carrying out their lawful functions.But the Minister warned that anyone who violates the law with respect to preventing the stray catchers from carrying out their duties could face obstruction or assault charges.“When you obstruct a policeman from carrying out his duties, there is a charge for that. If you’re to assault him, you’re charged for assault causing grievous bodily harm, so with respect to the stray catchers, the police will find the appropriate charge to deal with this, ” the Minister stated.Under the law anyone can take a stray animal to the pound but according to Minister Rohee, his Ministry in recruiting official stray catchers, is seeking to regularise the operation.“What we are trying to avoid is a man just picking up cattle and taking it to the pound for the reward, ” the Minister pointed out.Plans are also in place to have the official stray catchers identified in a special way so as not to create any undue confusion.
Name: Lmnopqrstu
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 23 Jun 18 08:43pm
…Minister ‘unaware of poor transportation arrangements for dignitaries’It has been six days now since the opening of the tenth Caribbean Festival of Arts (Carifesta X) in Guyana, Cheap NFL Football Jerseys, an event which has so far captured the attention of many Guyanese and attracted a fair amount of overseas visitors, excluding delegations.When questioned on whether or not Guyana’s hosting of the event has been successful thus far, Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Dr. Frank Anthony stated that, “the response from the public speaks for itself.”He added that the Carifesta Secretariat along with the other collaborating agencies has been doing a great job so far as it relates to the organization of the various scheduled events.Minister Anthony opined that the public’s response to Carifesta X in Guyana is ‘phenomenal, ’ with a tremendous number of persons displaying interest in some of the plays that have been taking place at the Theatre Guild as well as the Grand Market at the Sophia Exhibition Centre. However, while Minister Anthony is hailing the success of the event, some ‘very important persons’ that arrived specifically for the occasion are not so happy, particularly with the transportation arrangements that have been put in place by the organizers.A reliable source has informed this newspaper that some visiting dignitaries arrived at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport and had to ‘hitch’ rides to the city, as there were no liaison officials from the Foreign Affairs Ministry to assist them in getting to Georgetown or to inform them where they had to stay during the event.Kaieteur News understands that some of these dignitaries are extremely upset about the treatment they have received. One such individual has since decided not to grant any interviews to journalists since these issues, if raised, could cause unnecessary problems.When this newspaper contacted Minister Anthony for a comment on the issue, he said that he is not aware of such a situation.The Minister explained that his Ministry is in possession of a schedule of all the delegations that have arrived in Guyana and they were all adequately greeted at the airport.Dr. Anthony said that special teams were stationed at the airport on a 24-hour basis where they welcomed all the delegations and the liaison officers would escort them to the vehicles that were arranged to take them to Georgetown.He noted that this incident might have occurred to persons who arrived unannounced, but even this was planned for, the Minister said.He explained that the Ministry had a back-up plan in place for those persons who arrived unexpectedly, as there were additional vehicles to transport them to Georgetown.With such arrangements in place, Minister Anthony noted that this should have ensured that everyone was well taken care of.
Name: Mnopqrstuv
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 23 Jun 18 08:42pm
Four persons were on Monday remanded to prison after the police conducted a search on a minibus destined for Mahdia and found a large quantity of marijuana.Appearing before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry were David Cole and Faith Jones.Cole of Parfaite Harmonie, West Coast Demerara, and Jones a businesswoman of Mahdia, are accused of having 850 grammes of cannabis in their possession on May 22, at McKenzie, Linden for the purpose of trafficking.They pleaded not guilty to the charge after it was read to them at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Police Corporal, Shawn Gonsalves, told the court that on the day in question, about 09:15hrs, police from the anti-crime unit at the Linden Police Station were on patrol in the Washdam area, when they stopped a minibus.  The police instructed the driver to take the bus to the station.Upon arrival, the defendants were ordered to collect their belongings and exit the vehicle. A shiny ‘salt bag’ that the defendants had in their possession was searched and the illegal substance was found in the bag.They were cautioned, told of the offence and arrested and charged.Jones’ attorney, Gordon Gilhuys, in an unsuccessful bail application told the court that several persons were inside of the vehicle when the drug was found. The lawyer also informed the court that his client has two children.Meanwhile, a gold miner was also remanded to prison after he was found with 65 grammes of cannabis in his possession for the purpose of trafficking.Jerry Thomas of 209 Middle Road, La Penitence, is accused of having the illicit substance in his possession, also on May 22.Thomas, who denied the allegation, Cheap Jerseys Wholesale, was also an occupant of the minibus that was stopped and searched. The drug was allegedly found in a haversack he was carrying.The defendant, who was unrepresented by an attorney, told the court that he was never convicted by a court of law.Police Corporal Shawn Gonsalves objected to the defendants being released on bail because no special reasons were provided to satisfy the court.The magistrate instructed the prosecutor to have both matters sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice.Both matters will be called again today.Similarly, another gold miner was also remanded to prison on a drug trafficking charge.Winston Scotland of 274 Oronoque Street, Retrieve, Linden, pleaded not guilty to the charge which stated that on May 22, at McKenzie Linden, he had 134 grammes of cannabis in his possession, also for the purpose of trafficking.The defendant, who was also unrepresented by an attorney, was found with the drug in his haversack, around 12:15 hrs, at the Linden Police Station. Scotland was also an occupant of the mini bus that the police stopped and searched.This matter was transferred to the Linden Magistrate’s Court for June 2.
Comments

Visits: 17466599

REGISTER FOR OUR NEWLETTER + MORE!