Sign the Guestbook | View the Guestbook

861 entries
Prev · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 · Next

Name: Defghijklm
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 22 Jun 18 08:28am
Over the past two day, a team of investors headed by Jamaica-born Canadian investor and billionaire Michael Lee-Chin has been in Guyana meeting with Government officials about possible investments in the near future.An international specialist in Financing, Mr. Lee-Chin led the team which was invited by former President Bharrat Jagdeo.Before leaving for Jamaica yesterday, Mr. Lee-Chin met with media operatives where he spoke about his visit. First the philanthropist said he was pleased with the warm Guyanese hospitality.Jamaica-born billionaire Michael Lee-Chin (L) and Presidential Advisor Odinga Lumumba.He said the agenda was certainly helpful in his team coming to a conclusion that “there is a very long runway of opportunities in Guyana’s economy”.“We want to be a part of those opportunities and to do what we can to bring capital to the country… and do what we can to bring the requisite expertise; to do what we can to bring more wealth and to enhance the life of the average Guyanese and to make the phenomenal potential that Guyana has not just potential, but a reality.”He added that he was extremely pleased with the calibre of Government Ministers he met during his visit as they all showed great experience, passion and knowledge in their respective sectors.“I was impressed with the type of leadership. It is very easy for an investor to make that step to come to Guyana, ” Lee-Chin noted.Further he stated that his team includes officials from the National Commercial Bank of Jamaica and Portland Holdings.The bank, he said, is eager to find ways to enter the financial service industry of Guyana, while Portland Holdings has a more general approach to investing.“To start off, we will be looking at the choices and then narrowing it down by virtue of our understanding, Agriculture is definitely an area we want to explore as well as the telecommunication sector, Wholesale NFL Jerseys, since we see the need for more competition in this area.”He added that his team will now return to Jamaica and carefully access the possibilities in terms of where they will be heading.“We are engaged and we will now sit and assess Guyana in relation to where we are going with our portfolio. From what we have seen so far, Guyana will move to the top of the table because of the openness of the Government for investing.”During the team’s two-day visit, meetings were held with the Ministers of Finance, Natural Resources and Agriculture.Michael Lee-Chin is a business magnate, investor and philanthropist. He is the founder and chairman of Portland Holdings, a privately-held investment company which owns a collection of diversified operating companies in sectors that include media, tourism, health care, telecommunications and financial services.Amongst other positions, he is currently executive chairman of AIC Limited, a Canadian mutual fund, and the National Commercial Bank of Jamaica. Lee-Chin’s wealth has been estimated as high as US$2.5 billion, and Canadian Business magazine has named him as one of the richest people in Canada.In 2003, he made headlines when he donated US$30 million to the Royal Ontario Museum. He also provided a US$10 million gift to the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto.
Name: Qrstuvwxyz
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 22 Jun 18 08:27am
Residents of Lethem, Rupununi in Region Nine are demanding a thorough investigation that could establish the circumstances surrounding the death of a 14-month-old baby, girl yesterday morning.Vanita Johnson with her dead baby at the Lethem Hospital. The residents are blaming both the regional and hospital administration for what they call glaring negligence in the death of Donnette Pernambuco, 18 hours after she was admitted to the Lethem medical facility.Kaieteur News understands that the absence of a driver for the Lethem ambulance compounded the situation, after the doctor on duty recommended that the child be rushed to the Boa Vista Medical Centre for advanced medical care.According to reports, the child from Shea, South Rupununi was taken by her mother, Vanita Johnson, to the Lethem Hospital about 15:15 hours on Sunday, suffering from fits of vomiting.She was seen by some nurses, who administered oral rehydration before admitting her.Both mother and child slept at the hospital and according to reports no other treatment was administered until a doctor examined the baby about 06:00 hours yesterday.This newspaper was told that because of the child’s advance stage of dehydration, the doctor recommended that she be transported by ambulance to Boa Vista in neighbouring Brazil, China Jerseys, where the medical facilities are more sophisticated.Arrangements were made for the trip to Boa Vista but from then things went awry and confusion reigned.The authorised driver for the ambulance could not be located. It was subsequently learnt that the ambulance driver was on duty with a senior regional official in the city.As desperation stepped in, further efforts were made to contact a replacement driver, while the baby’s condition continued to deteriorate.By the time the replacement driver was located it was too late. The baby died around 10:30 hours.She had spent a total of 18 hours without much treatment.As news of the baby’s death spread throughout Lethem, residents, mostly Amerindians expressed disgust at the apparent lack of professionalism on the part of the authorities responsible for the administration of health care.Senior medical personnel have also expressed frustration over the way the ambulance service is being operated in the region. This newspaper was told that the Regional Executive Officer exercises control over the vehicle and has appointed one specific driver to operate it.But according to reports, that driver is sometimes used by senior regional officials, leaving the ambulance unattended. Sometimes this is the situation when an emergency arises.This newspaper contacted the Deputy Regional Executive Officer with regards to the incident but was referred to the hospital’s Chief Executive Officer who is reportedly in Georgetown at the moment.
Name: Pqrstuvwxy
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 22 Jun 18 08:27am
The Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) has lost 100 tonnes of sugar valued at $13M due to the three-day strike at the Blairmont Estate, and GuySuCo yesterday said that it has been forced to cease all operations except essential services at the estate.A GuySuCo statement accused union representatives of prolonging the strike even as company officials were addressing issues such as delays in payment for workers and other grievances.“The effects of this strike are that 400 punts of cane are filled in punts for the past three days and remain in the dock rapidly deteriorating in quality, and as a consequence not only has sugar being lost, but harvesters have not been required to work last Saturday, today and tomorrow because of the unavailability of empty punts, ” the statement said.“In addition, there are 85 punts of cane harvested and left in the fields. At this stage the deterioration in the cane quality has resulted in sugar loss of 100 tonnes that could have yielded $13M in revenue. ““In the view of the fact that the workers have abandoned their jobs, the Corporation will immediately cease all operations, except essential services at Blairmont. The Corporation cannot condone such reckless behaviour on the part of the workers; as such it will meet with the Union to discuss the gravity of the disruption caused by employees abandoning their jobs and the application of the appropriate sanctions. “The statement said that factory and field workshop workers downed tools last Friday during the 14:00 hrs to 22:00 hrs shift when the factory was in full operation.According to the Corporation, the striking workers demanded that all income generated from doing ‘piece work’ should be used in the computation of retroactive payment following the job evaluation; that workers who are dissatisfied with their current pay grades must have their grades adjusted to their demands and that all outstanding payments that have been delayed by queries should be paid without further delay.GuySuCo said that immediately prior to the workers walking off the job last Friday, management advised the Union representatives and workers in the factory compound that all outstanding payments will be made on Friday, August 31, and that the other two issues are within the purview of discussion between the Union and the Corporation, centrally, in accordance with the grievance procedure.“Notwithstanding these undertakings, the workers walked off the job during the shift. The incoming 10/6 pm shift joined the strike, ” the statement said.“Operations were normal on all shifts on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, August 27, the 6/2 am shift in the factory and the entire workforce in the field workshop struck on the same demands made on Friday. A meeting between senior corporate management and executives of the Union was subsequently held late yesterday (Monday) afternoon at Blairmont. At this meeting an agreement was reached for immediate cessation of the strike, and for a full resumption on the 10/6 pm shift and onwards.”“Unfortunately, the 10/6 pm shift yesterday(Monday), Stitched Jerseys, 6/2 am shift and entire workforce in the field workshop today continued the strike, despite an agreement being reached yesterday.“This strike is in blatant violation of the grievance procedure that provides, among others, for dialogues at various levels until a dispute or grievance is resolved, rather than for   workers proceeding to abandon their jobs; thereby causing 485 punts of cane to perish and denial of work to 850 harvesters for 2 days already, ” the statement charged.Strikes at a number of estates this year have left the state-owned Guyana Sugar Corporation unable to deliver to markets in Caricom.According to GuySuCo, the problem was exacerbated by strikes at the Blairmont, West Berbice packaging plant and poor weather at the Enmore Estate, East Coast Demerara.
Name: Pqrstuvwxy
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 22 Jun 18 08:27am
Jacob Mootoo, the 56-year-old proprietor of J. Mootoo Off Licence Grocery located at Alness Village, Corentyne, is currently spewing inconsistencies in his story about the alleged robbery.He was allegedly robbed by two armed men on Sunday at approximately 2:00 amThe businessman who spoke to media operatives from various media houses stated that he got up to close his windows after the rain had begun to pour when he heard a loud crash at his front bedroom window. He stated at that time he ran out the room and rushed downstairs for his machete.According to Mootoo who lives with his common law wife, Vilma Motee, and his sister-in-law Devika Motee who had slept over the said night, “ Me hear somebody start knock the glass fuh me bedroom window so me na waste time; me run downstairs fuh me cutlass”. The man previously stated that he was met with two gunshots as he was halfway up the steps with his cutlass in hand.However, Cheap Jerseys From China Outlet, Mootoo has now changed parts of his story stating that four gunshots were fired and not two as previously stated. He is also claiming that he fired several chops at the bandits, scaring them away.Mootoo told Kaieteur News that when he was being questioned by reporters the following day of the robbery he was “confused and na remember fuh tell alyuh da part”.As Mootoo’s story slithers in all directions, investigators were prompted to take a turn and investigate him while exploring other theories as well. This publication understands that acting on information that Mootoo allegedly has in his possession guns and ammunition, ranks of the mobile patrol on the Corentyne on Tuesday October 24, 2016 conducted a search of his premises. The businessman was also dusted for gunpowder residue. The tests were sent to Georgetown from where the results are expected shortly.Meanwhile, Mootoo is claiming that he is not lying. “Why me become the target? Is me time now fuh get mad.”According to Mootoo while he is being investigated the actual robbers are freely running the streets. Investigators however recovered two spent shells on the scene and revealed that the likely firearm used would have been a 9mm pistol.Divisional Commander Kevin Adonis also confirmed that based on information that was received, Mootoo’s premises was searched and the victim was dusted. They want to unearth the truth behind the alleged robbery.
Name: Abcdefghij
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 22 Jun 18 08:27am
Two Linden protestors, who were shot on Wednesday, were transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) on Thursday, nursing gunshot wounds to their body during the protest.Injured are Reuben Bowen, 56, of Lot 27 Silver City Wismar and Collis Duke, 36, of Lot 768 South Amelia Ward, Linden.Bowen, who would be celebrating his birthday on July 24, sustained a gunshot wound to his left leg, Wholesale Jerseys Online, while Duke was hit to his right side face and one to both legs.Reuben BowenAt the hospital yesterday, Bowen and Duke vowed to continue their protest once they are discharged. They claimed that they would not only protest over the hike in electricity tariff but also for justice and compensation for those who lost their lives.Shemroy Bouyea, Ron Sommerset, 19 and Ivan Lewis, 46, were fatally shot by the police during the protest.Bowen said that he was on the Wismar shore when he heard gunshot sounds emerging from Mc Kenzie shore, “I went there and I see the police a distance away shooting.”He said that the police, who went to the scene, “went with the intention to kill. They released teargas, then shoot pellets at the crowd and lastly, fired live rounds. The crowd got angry when the police start shooting.”He said during the shooting, he was shot and was taken to the hospital.Duke said that he was part of the protest from the start. He said that the protestors moved from Christianburg to the Mackenzie Bridge to get attention. “Only when we go on the bridge then we does get attention.”He said that after blocking the bridge, the police came and order them to clear the bridge but they refused. “They left and come back and ask us to move about five times and when we refuse they start with their madness.”He said that the protest will continue until the authorities listen to them.Collis Duke
Comments

Visits: 17455933

REGISTER FOR OUR NEWLETTER + MORE!