Sign the Guestbook | View the Guestbook

328 entries
Prev · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 · Next

Name: Ghijklmnop
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 21 Oct 17 11:16pm
– refutes claims by Lyken Funeral Home The Guyana Police Force has not taken kindly to reports that it is engaged in the immoral practice of touting the dead, as contained in an article carried in this newspaper yesterday.The Force is being accused of channeling the business of the collection of human remains to a particular funeral parlour, whose owners are believed to be favoured by the Force’s administration.The accusation is coming from the proprietors of the Lyken/Newburg Funeral Home, which has been collecting human remains on behalf of the police for the past 25 years.In a response to an article published by the Kaieteur News under the caption “Police now selling the dead”, the Guyana Police Force said that the decision to involve the Memorial and Crematorium Gardens Funeral Parlour in the collection of human remains was taken in response to a request by the Central Islamic Organization of Guyana.But of course this is nothing new, since this very fact was already pointed out in the published article.The police explained though that it is required by law to investigate all unnatural deaths.Part of this investigation entails the conduct of the post-mortem by a registered government Pathologist.According to the police, the practice of the Force has been whenever an unnatural death occurs, at a place other than at Public Hospitals with storage facilities for bodies, the police will have these bodies stored at a funeral parlour until the post-mortem is conducted.Commissioner of Police Seelall PersaudDr. Dawn StewartThereafter, the body will be handed over to the relatives for burial.Whenever no relatives come forward to claim the body, the police will cause it to be disposed of, at the expense of the State.The force acknowledged that among the funeral parlours being used is the Lyken Funeral Parlour.“The standard procedure relating to the removal of human remains is for detectives to inform the Duty Officer in the Police Division whenever processing of the scene is completed. The Duty Officer will then call a parlour to pick up and store the body, ” a statement from the Guyana Police Force said.Over the years, the Lyken Funeral Home has been the preferred choice of the police, especially when it comes to decomposed remains, which other parlours are reluctant to pick up.According to the police, earlier this year, the Central Islamic Organisation Of Guyana (C.I.O.G) by way of letter informed the Commissioner of Police that they are handling funerals of Muslims in Guyana and paying costs associated with those deaths.They also informed that they have a contractual agreement with the Memorial and Crematorium Gardens Funeral Parlour to handle bodies and funerals of Muslims.The police stated that the C.I.O.G requested that the Guyana Police Force facilitate the collection of the bodies by the said Memorial and Crematorium Gardens Funeral Parlour from the scenes.The Police said that it finds the request to be a reasonable one and as a result the Commissioner of Police forwarded the letter to the Divisional Commanders with instruction to facilitate the request.“No funeral parlour complains about this arrangement except the Lyken Funeral Parlour which has been insisting that it has a contract with the Guyana Police Force that gives them a monopoly to uplift and store bodies. When asked by the Guyana Police Force and other government authorities to produce a copy of the said contract, Dr. Dawn Stewart has so far failed to do so, Jerseys NFL Wholesale, ” the police said.The police said that the Lyken Funeral Parlour has been complaining a long time ago with the advent of competition in the industry.However, in yesterday’s article, Dr, Stewart is on record acknowledging that she has no formal contract with the Guyana Police Force, although she has been insisting that there be one, a request the police have been brushing aside over the years.She said that she is not afraid of competition and will welcome new tendering for the contract to collect human remains, which she said should be done in a transparent manner.But some subordinate officers in the Guyana Police Force are unaware of this new arrangement with the Memorial and Crematorium Gardens Funeral Parlour.“We have no such instructions to that effect, ” one such officer told this newspaper.“And besides how would we know which is Muslim dead or not? We don’t always know the identity of dead persons, so Lyken is always our first option, ” the SO added.However, it has been observed that the Memorial and Crematorium Gardens Funeral Parlour has not only been collecting human remains of Muslims on behalf of the police; they have also been called by the police to collect other remains.Earlier this year, to the surprise of many, the parlour turned up in Buxton to collect the dismembered remains of a woman.When questioned, the police claimed that they were instructed to call the parlour.On the question of payment of the millions owed to the Lyken Funeral Home, the police said the issue has been raised long before the sitting Commissioner took over the Force.The police said that “Unlike what is reported by Dr. Dawn Stewart, the unpaid monies (not consistent with her version) is still being processed by the government.”
Name: Abcdefghij
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 21 Oct 17 11:16pm
By Gary EleazarA Partnership for National Unity (APNU) yesterday dedicated its weekly media engagement to addressing the state of affairs in the sugar industry, and according to Shadow Minister with responsibility for Agriculture, Dr Rupert Roopnaraine, the perplexing usage of funds has evoked serious concerns among interested parties.He said that the 10-party coalition will now be using its political weight to push for the immediate reconstitution of the Board of Directors for the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), as well as a Commission of Inquiry (COI) into the operations of the industry.Dr Roopnaraine said that the answer to GuySuCo’s chronic state cannot be annual bailouts, and added that through informal talks with representatives of the European Union (EU), he has learnt there is “distress” that the money flowing to assist Guyana as a result of the price cuts has not been utilized as intended.Anthony Vieira (right) makes a point as APNU Parliamentarian Dr Rupert Roopnaraine (centre) and Executive Member, Lance Carberry, listen attentively.“It remains a mystery why the compensation funds from the European Union are not being dedicated to the sugar industry; including the cane farmers…I know the EU is itself rather distressed about the way in which the funds are being handled, it remains a mystery, including a mystery to people within GuySuCo.”Roopnaraine reminded that government’s explanation for the way the money is being used is that it is deposited in the Consolidated Fund to form part of the pool of national resources which is then allocated across the various sectors for expenditure. He pointed out that between 2006 and 2012, Guyana received just about $24.7B from the EU.Finance Minister Dr Ashni Singh yesterday signed for the receipt of another $6.4B in support from the EU, as a result of the cut in the preferential prices that had been paid for sugar.Anthony Vieira, an APNU member and former Shadow Agriculture Minister, suggested that utilizing the EU money for a substantial injection of cash would make much more sense than to annually fund losses by the company through minimal bailouts.On the Terms of Reference being called for as regards the call for an inquiry into the operations of the sugar industry, Dr Roopnaraine said, “It’s quite simple, what we want is a very intensive scrutiny of sugar industry…We would like to understand where the present decline set in, what have been the factors influencing that decline…”He said too that the COI into the industry should also identify what efforts would have been made to reverse the decline, and why it has failed.He drew reference to the fact that there have been several turn-around plans, and what he described as “well-intentioned moves” by the GuySuCo Board, “but the fact of the matter is that none of this has in fact prevented the industry from arriving at its present disastrous state.”The APNU team, which also included Executive Member, Lance Carberry, drew reference to statements issued by President of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers’ Union (GAWU), Komal Chand, who lamented the current recovery strategy for GuySuCo, in light of the significant shortfall in production from its first crop.According to APNU, reports of the first crop yield indicate that only 48, Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping, 000 tonnes had been achieved – falling short by some 23, 000 tonnes.GuySuCo, in reaction, decided to adjust its harvesting timetable, “bringing its first crop to a premature close in order to begin the second crop earlier.”Chand in response has indicated that the strategy will not yield the desired results, as there isn’t enough cane in the fields.It is widely believed that the industry will not achieve its target of 171, 000 tonnes for the second crop. In fact, according to Vieira, his feedback from the GAWU Executive is that the company will not even achieve 148, 000 tonnes from that crop.Vieira indicated that the amount, 148, 000 tonnes represents the limit to meet market obligations, and it is unlikely that even this will be achieved.Vieira opined that based on all available data and projections, Guyana will have to import sugar to meet its demands and satisfy its markets.“I would say 148, 000 tonnes looks not very achievable and certainly not 171, 000 tonnes….I believe that it may very well be possible that we will have to import (sugar).”
Name: Qrstuvwxyz
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 21 Oct 17 11:14pm
The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) has been given the green light to begin producing new identification (ID) cards.Dr. Roger Luncheon This is according to head of the Presidential Secretariat, Dr. Roger Luncheon, who told the media on Thursday that Dr. Steve Surujbally has support from the donor community to go ahead with the manufacturing of the new ID cards.These new cards will be distributed to persons on the national registration list from the ages of 14 and above, and not 18 as was previously done. This was done, Dr. Luncheon said, to facilitate the 2009 local government elections.“As is previously known, concerns were raised about the commitment of funding for an ID card exclusively for the purposes of voter ID for elections, as opposed to a multi-functional or all-embracing ID card that could be used for various purposes, ” Dr. Luncheon said.In making a decision to move forward, the 2009 local elections commitment was the major rationale in such a decision, he added.Addressing the issue of the local government task force and reform in local government, Dr. Luncheon, during his post-Cabinet press conference, said much uncertainty exists as to the task force and its ability to produce results in the timeframe to support local government elections this year.Based on information that is available, Dr. Luncheon said that a third-quarter local government election is something that has been decided upon.He added that this is suitable since it gives some cushion in case there is a ‘slip or slide’ situation and, as such, the fourth quarter will be available as an alternative option.“The activities involve the review of legislation for which the constitution provides in local government reform, addressing the new electoral system, fiscal transfers… These are important pieces of legislation, Cheap China Jerseys, of which we anticipate enactment prior to actually holding local government elections.”The recent concerns about the task force that was portrayed by President Bharrat Jagdeo, Dr. Luncheon said, mirror the concerns at the level of Cabinet, and sentiments that have been raised about the pace of work at the Task Force.“Ultimately the task force work leads inexorably to Parliament for its consideration of what would be ideally approved pieces of legislation.”On February 25 last, the National Assembly approved $90M for the update and finalisation of the voter’s list to host local government elections this year.$90M will be expended on the purchasing of life jackets, torch-lights and other gear to equip the 27 registration offices countrywide. The estimated sum also includes the distribution of National Identification Cards.Leader of the People’s National Congress Reform, Robert Corbin, during that sitting of the National Assembly, questioned the sums allocated to GECOM, since according to him he is skeptical that the sums will be sufficient.The Opposition leader was, however, assured by the Prime Minister that the money would be adequate to cover the expenses of GECOM.According to the Prime Minister, the GECOM programme has been reworked to suit the available funds. After eight years, the local government task force is yet to agree on the reforms.The decisions taken by the task force will have to be legislated to allow for elections.
Name: Qrstuvwxyz
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 21 Oct 17 11:14pm
… still no date on rehabilitation worksActing Town Clerk Carol Sooba has made it clear that the decrepit Kitty Market will not be privatized, nor will it be torn down. The Town Clerk told media representatives that the City Engineer’s department had an estimate done to renovate the aged colonial edifice, but will be redoing it. She expressed the hope that the document is submitted soon.Unable to state when the renovation works will commence, Sooba added that the market is a heritage structure and can’t be destroyed. She noted that while the City Mayor Hamilton Green has called on private persons to aid in the market’s rehabilitation, none have come to the fore.The current state of the Kitty Market.However, those concerned with the market are unconvinced that the government or the City Council intends to rehabilitate the English built bazaar.Two main concerns remain with the stakeholders; the building’s non-privatisation and its instant rehabilitation. Earlier in the year, Acting Town Clerk Carol Sooba said that plans were being made to relocate vendors to the Kitty Public Road before a private group demolishes the heritage building.She said that the private group submitted a proposal to the Local Government Ministry, and expressed an interest in tearing down the wooden structure since it was a threat to “life and limb and that the Guyana Fire Service had already declared it a fire hazard.Kitty residents, especially the market vendors have blamed the Government and the City Council for ignoring constant pleas to have the market renovated. They aired their belief that a conspiracy was at work to dispose the market to private entrepreneurs.“We heard for months of some Chinese interest and that they made proposals- to government I suppose- to take over the market, ” Kitty Market Action Committee member and stallholder, Tacuma Ogunseye said.In an interview with this newspaper, he said that the news is being treated as a rumour since no actual proposals were made, Cheap Air Max 90 Men Shoes, “but we have come to the conclusion that the market is being kept for private friends. But we hold the Minister responsible for the market’s rehabilitation since he had stated a willingness to address the matter.”Ogunseye said that a letter from the Local Government Ministry to address the Kitty Market issue was the first official response to the matter. “The response was the first official acknowledgment of receipt of letter and we await a plan from Council for rehabilitation.”Another committee member Bibi Ferguson charged that Mayor Hamilton Green had told them in an earlier meeting that the Chinese wanted to buy the market, but they refused, “because we are Guyanese and we can’t go anywhere else and make a living. We got to stay here and make our living. This belongs to us, ” she said.Ferguson said, “We blame the Mayor and City Council wholly and solely for the state of the market.” She questioned what happened to the money that was being collected over the years and questioned further why the market was left to deteriorate.The Action Committee is however adamant that they are against the privatization or wholesale sell out of the market. “Our contention is that the market is a community institution, the space was dominated by residents of Kitty for the sole purpose of the market and we believe no one has the right to deprive the community of the market.”“We believe that the market can be rehabilitated and the Council and Central Government have the moral obligation to rehabilitate it.” The committee members claim that they are aware of monies allocated for the market’s rehabilitation but which was never used for that purpose.
Name: Mnopqrstuv
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 21 Oct 17 11:14pm
An East Bank Demerara man was shot multiple times yesterday afternoon after an alleged altercation with his neighbour.Alvin Mursalin, 39, of 887 Diamond Housing Scheme, was transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) from the Diamond Diagnostics Centre, sometime around 20:15hrs.He was reportedly shot in his head and his foot. Whether the bullet is lodged in Mursalin’s head, remains unknown since his wife, Shanaz (only name given) informed that a CT scan is yet to be conducted.Although the circumstances surrounding the shooting are unclear, cheap jerseys elite, Shanaz told this publication that she learnt about the incident from a resident.However, she revealed that their opposite neighbour (name provided), and her husband had an “old beef” and would from time to time cause the two men to have heated exchanges.Shanaz and other relatives, who were present at the GPHC, are convinced that Mursalin was shot by the neighbour.Shanaz  also recalled an instance some time ago when Mursalin was chopped by the same neighbour, whose brother, is a Regional Chairman hence, all reports to the police she said, would usually fall on “deaf ears”.Present at the hospital also was Mursalin’s brother, who stated that some time ago, the neighbour had received a restraining order after the chopping ordeal. He said that this attempt on his brother’s life was a violation of the Court’s order.
Comments

Visits: 12190401

REGISTER FOR OUR NEWLETTER + MORE!