Sign the Guestbook | View the Guestbook

510 entries
Prev · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 · Next

Name: Fghijklmno
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Aug 17 05:12pm
– inducted as Patron of Guyana Foundation First Lady, Sandra Granger, has called on the charitable organisations, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), and members of wider society to play a greater role in tackling the scourge of suicide.(Bottom; fourth from right): First Lady Sandra Granger is flanked by the Guyana Foundation team.The First Lady issued the statement after she was introduced as the new Patron of the Guyana Foundation (GF) a charitable trust aimed at contributing to meaningful change towards rebuilding Guyana.Mrs. Granger was presented with a specially-made gold pin by GF’s Founder, Mrs. Supriya Singh-Bodden, during the cocktail reception held in the Savannah Suite of the Pegasus Hotel, on Friday.The event attracted over 200 individuals from representatives of government agencies, business entities, local and international charitable organizations and volunteers. Mrs. Granger noted the need for all sectors in society to get involved in arresting the root causes of suicide.According to the Hon First Lady, “In the context of mental health… it is vitally important that our country addresses urgently, effectively, and in a coherent manner, the alarmingly high incidence of suicide, particularly among our youths.”Pointing to the fact that Guyana, with its comparatively small population, has an alarmingly high rate of suicide, Mrs. Granger said that the nation cannot afford to lose its human capital to suicide. Efforts must be made forthwith to find the causes and provide professional help.Speaking of the foundation’s attempts to help curb this epidemic, Mrs. Granger also noted that the group has already signalled its willingness to participate in a national conversation on suicide prevention and to offer its resources. She praised the Foundation’s work with at-risk groups.First Lady, Mrs. Sandra Granger, being presented with a gold pin by GF’s Founder, Mrs. Supriya Singh-Bodden.“When we educate our children, Edwin Encarnacion Indians Jersey, our women, our citizens with special needs, our seniors, we help vulnerable sectors of our population not only to be positive about themselves; but to recognise their intrinsic value as [individuals and], as members of our society [and reinforce] the belief that they can contribute, ” Mrs. Granger said.The First Lady said that she is pleased to be associated with such a noble organisation. She said it was particularly commendable that The Guyana Foundation has continued to have an expansive reach and offers programmes in communities beyond Georgetown and the Coastland, as it had been doing since its establishment in 2013.“Recognizing that the Guyanese people and their diverse cultures are our greatest wealth, the programme of The Guyana Foundation has focused on the most vulnerable sectors of our population” she said.According information posted on the group’s social media page these vulnerable groups, include those that are poverty-stricken. Women and youths are direct beneficiaries of Foundation projects, aimed at improving mental health, and empowerment through literacy programmes and emotional support through community renewal engagements.Speaking on the NGO’s plan to retake communities and build a stronger nation, the First Lady noted, “An educated population is a tolerant population. It reaches out to help those less fortunate among us. It seeks ways to feed the children who cannot study or learn because their bellies are empty… It does not point an admonitory finger at adolescent mothers, who may have been victims of trafficking or rape or incest, ” the First Lady said.Last October, following a meeting between the First Lady and Founder of the Guyana Foundation, Mrs. Supriya Singh-Bodden, Mrs. Granger had expressed that there are significant areas of synergy between her work programme and the work of the Foundation.The Foundation is a charitable trust that has as its mandate to contribute meaningfully to the rebuilding of Guyana. Mrs. Singh-Bodden, who adorned the First Lady with a pin to signify her induction as Patron, thanked her for accepting the invitation, even as she pledged to continue the Foundation’s work.The Founder further noted that from its inception the Foundation had attracted individuals; both locally and from across the world, who have stepped forward to share ideas, develop projects, and raise funds, to assist vulnerable populations.The Foundation’s work is propelled by Mrs. Singh-Bodden’s conviction that great change can be made by people who are encouraged and supported. As such, it has conducted large and small-scale projects countrywide in an effort to restore hope and purpose, rebuild lives, and create a better future for all GuyaneseMrs. Singh-Bodden also unveiled several new initiatives that will be launched in 2016.These new projects include the Guyana Foundation Sunrise Centres, the Guyana Heroes Project, collaboration with the Starkey Foundation and a village renewal project in Hague on the West Coast of Demerara.
Name: Ijklmnopqr
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Aug 17 05:12pm
…nab 11 underaged patronsReports of under aged girls engaged in prostitution saw ranks of the Guyana Police Force, Welfare Officers and Social Workers, swooping down and sealing off the Platinum Club on First Avenue, Bartica, on Saturday.The authorities started their operation at midnight and lasted for well over an hour. During the search, six boys, all students of the Bartica Secondary School, were identified and told to stand in the corner as the police went about identifying a number of females also said to be under aged.Original reports had suggested that the minors may have been part of a trafficking in persons ring which sparked the attention of the Guyana’s Women Miners’ Organization.President of the organization Simone Broomes told Kaieteur News that she was aware of the police raid and commended the work of the officers in helping to clamp down of the plaguing social issue of human trafficking and the exploitation of young children. The president said upon hearing the news, she contacted the police and learned of the teens’ detention. She also mentioned that investigations into the night spot’s operations had resulted in closure of the establishment although it is unsure for what period of time.Officers only disclosed that they were engaged in an operation after drawing strong criticism from patrons who wanted to leave the establishment.The Police Officers reportedly entered the night spot, asked the DJ to switch off the music and began to make their way to various points, effectively sealing off the establishment. Two male officers even took up their position in the female washroom which saw many females refusing to use the facility.Female patrons said that they were not using the facility as there were reports of females sexually assaulted at knife point by men standing outside and in some instances by men who hid in the washroom. The officers, one female patron said, told her “come right in babes we gon help you. You must not be afraid; we are police officers”. One officer, she said, was sitting on a toilet bowl while the other was lying on the ground.Reports are that the owner of the establishment beefed up security after the alleged sexual assaults. Among the security measures in place were that patrons should produce Identification Cards before they are granted entry. There apparently is some truth in that as a girl identified by the officers as a minor, when questioned said that she was eighteen years old, that she lived in Bartica for the last six years, that she was well aware of the establishment’s policy of producing identification but said she had forgotten her ID card.The said young woman was at the establishment with two other females who were not singled out by the officers.The girl was indeed 14 years old and the boys were also around the same age group. The police were forced to resort to waiting for their parents to go and pick them up. Authorities later disclosed that the four were all intoxicated.The two male officers keeping guard at one door refused to allow the young woman to use the bathroom despite her pleas. It was only after several patrons raised their voice and her friends tried to remove her, Reggie Sanders Reds Jersey, that the uniformed officer sent for a female officer to escort her to the bathroom.On the outside of the establishment, officers were body searching patrons who were leaving and were also asking those who appeared young, their age.A number of Brazilian nationals were told to stand in a corner after they were searched.Apart from that, the sex trade revelation, the incidence of violent activities and complaints by patrons had also resulted in the police’s attention to the business place.While the police officers were conducting their searches inside, patrons were seen scurrying for cover on three occasions as bottles were broken and young men were threatening to either kill or cause injures to others.Police detained the last two. Whether they were released after or taken to the police station is also not known.Kaieteur News further understands that the minors were taken to the Bartica Police Station where they were questioned and later handed over to their parents. This was not before both parents and children received a stern warning from the police.
Name: Klmnopqrst
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Aug 17 05:11pm
KN stands by reportThe Ministry of Agriculture has responded to an article published in the Saturday August 15 edition of this newspaper, captioned; “Minister Persaud backpedals on agri inspections, abandons media team; contractor seeks to frustrate Kaieteur News.”In a statement issued to the media yesterday, the Ministry claimed that Kaieteur News is on a campaign to ‘go after the Minister of Agriculture.’On August 6, 2009, Minister Persaud committed to take members of the media on a thorough inspection of the $1.1 billion investment on drainage and irrigation works being conducted countrywide.This publication has on record, the Minister stating that he will be with the media ‘if it is until midnight’ to complete the inspection of all these projects, which extends from Bonasika Creek in the Essequibo River and Crabwood Creek on the Corentyne Coast.However, Wholesale China Jerseys Free Shpping, in the press statement issued yesterday, the Agriculture Ministry is now claiming that Minister Persaud was not scheduled to be present with the team during the entire visit.More than half of the media team opted out after visits to eight D & I works.Those included the state owned media, who only did so when they suspected that Minister Persaud would no longer stay during the entire duration of the visit and when the offer was made by Persaud for those who wanted to leave.In fact, a Kaieteur News reporter overheard the Communications Officer from GINA, saying that ‘I’m no longer staying, because Minister Persaud is not gonna stay, so what sense would it make for me to be here?”The Kaieteur News reporters urged for the inspection visits to be terminated only because their reporters realised that a clear attempt was being made by the Ministry officials to frustrate the process by allowing the reporters to walk in and out of a mile and a half from the Philadelphia back dam when it was clearly evident that a vehicle could have driven in the dam.This aspect was not addressed by the Ministry of Agriculture in its press statement.The Ministry also failed to address the issue where instructions were given to the ranger of the Parika Water Users Association not to assist any Kaieteur News reporter with transportation out of the back dam.This instruction was given by Rovin Bookmohan, an engineer working with contractor, Roopan Ramotar, popularly called ‘Fowlcock’ who is responsible for constructing several of the structures.
Name: Bcdefghijk
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Aug 17 05:11pm
The driver involved in the accident that resulted in the death of a 15-year-old Liverpool Village girl has surrendered. The man, who is from Rose Hall Town, Corentyne, turned himself in late Wednesday evening to the Whim Police Station, in the company of his lawyer. He also reportedly re-visited the scene of the accident yesterday with traffic ranks to explain what had happened.He is likely to be charged for causing death by dangerous driving.The truck parked in the Whim Police Station compoundZani Munroe of  33 Mc Gowan Street, Liverpool Village and a Fourth Form student of the Manchester Secondary School was riding her bicycle just after 17:00 hrs, at which time a truck, GLL 8938, registered in the name of G. Heeram of Friendship, Frank Thomas White Sox Jersey, Corentyne, transporting reef sand, was heading to New Amsterdam, and struck the child down.The driver reportedly exited the vehicle and fled the scene.The truck is currently in the Whim Police Station compound, while a post mortem examination is expected to be performed on Munroe on Monday.
Name: Klmnopqrst
E-mail:
Website: n/a
Date: 17 Aug 17 05:11pm
Scores of relatives and well wishers braved inches of snow and brutally cold weather to pay their final respects to the slain Patricia Sanasie.Pallbearers carry the casket with the body of Patricia Sanasie (inset) to the crematorium.The woman’s body was cremated last Monday in New York after a public viewing at a Queen’s Funeral Parlour the previous day.Among those paying their respects were the woman’s husband, Deokaran Sanasie, who local police believe could provide vital information about her death.Patricia Sanasie, 43 was gunned down on the night of January 12th by a gunman clad in black as she stepped out of her car to open her gate for her daughter to drive in, Justin Verlander Tigers Jersey, after the two had returned from a church service.The incident occurred almost a year after her husband who is popularly known as ‘Monkey Ram’ survived a similar attempt on his life.So far, except for the detention of a “man of interest”, who was subsequently released, local investigators have made no major breakthroughs in the case.The dead woman and her husband, Deokaran Sanasie, owner of Ram’s Auto Sales, had been embroiled in a prolonged dispute. The couple was expected to be in court this week for a division of property hearing.On February 14, 2014, Mr. Sanasie survived an attempt on his life after gunmen shot him outside his Fourth Street, Alberttown business. The husband had accused his spouse of hiring the gunmen to execute him. He provided investigators with a recording of a conversation to support his claims.The woman had denied the allegations claiming that her husband was delusional and needed psychiatric help. She was never charged. The woman subsequently obtained a restraining order preventing her husband from coming close to her.The now dead woman had also provided the police with a recording of her own that spoke of a plot by her husband to kill her. According to reports, the woman had provided the police with the name of an ex-policeman who had claimed that he was paid by her husband to kill her.Police had arrested the man, but he denied being involved in any execution plot.
Comments

Visits: 9535374

REGISTER FOR OUR NEWLETTER + MORE!